Archive for the ‘Jihadi Incidents In America’ Category

Soldier says ordered to delete Fort Hood videos

October 15, 2010 11:23 AM

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — A soldier who recorded the terror of last year’s deadly shooting rampage in Fort Hood using his cell phone was ordered by an officer to delete both videos, a military court heard Friday.

Under cross examination, Pfc. Lance Aviles told an Article 32 hearing that his noncommissioned officer ordered him to destroy the two videos on Nov. 5, the same day that a gunman unleashed a volley of bullets inside a processing center at the Texas Army post.

The footage could have been vital evidence at the military hearing to decide if Maj. Nidal Hasan should stand trial in the shootings. The 40-year-old American-born Muslim has been charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

Prosecutors have not said whether they’ll seek the death penalty if the case goes to trial.

Aviles described how he was waiting for medical tests at the center with his battle buddy, Pfc. Kham Xiong, when he heard someone shout. Then the gunshots began.

He said he saw a tanned, balding man wearing an Army combat uniform and carrying a black pistol.

“I saw smoke coming from the pistol,” Aviles told the court.

The pair threw themselves to the floor. Aviles turned to his left to check Xiong and discovered his friend had been shot.

“His head was facing the left and a shard of his skull was sticking up,” Aviles said.

Xiong, a 23-year-old father of three from St. Paul, Minn., was among the 13 who died in the attack. Aviles, the 20th person to provide testimony at the hearing, was not hurt.

Addressing the court via video link from Afghanistan, Spc. Megan Martin said she had been waiting to take medical tests when saw a man to her left stand up and shout “Allahu Akbar!” — “God is great!” in Arabic — then start firing a weapon.

He “started shooting to the left of me in a fan motion, left to right,” Martin said.

She described the weapon as “a small handgun (with) … a green light and a red laser.”

Capt. Melissa Kale said the gun was black and had “a red laser and a green laser.”

Only one witness has testified that he saw two weapons.

Kale, who is also serving in Afghanistan and spoke via satellite link, broke down in tears as she described how she tried to pull Sgt. Amy Krueger out of the line of fire. Twenty-nine-year-old Krueger was killed in the attack.

“I tried to pull Sgt. Krueger with me,” she sobbed. “She didn’t move. I had to leave her there.”

Also talking from Afghanistan and with the sound of jets flying overhead, Maj. Eric Torina testified that he saw Maj. Libardo Eduardo Caraveo just after he had been fatally shot, sitting in a chair as if he was still waiting for his medical exam.

The motionless 52-year-old sat “with his head down like he was almost sleeping, but with a bullet hole in his head, dripping blood,” he said.

Martin described how she saw Capt. John Gaffaney attempting to charge at the gunman to prevent further bloodshed. Gaffaney, a 56-year-old psychiatric nurse preparing to deploy to Iraq, was shot at close range and died.

“I could not look away. I laid as still as I could. I couldn’t stop watching. It was a nightmare that reoccurs.” said Martin, who belongs to the 467th Medical Detachment — the unit that Hasan was supposed to deploy with.

Hasan had been trying to get out of his pending deployment because he opposed the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He had been saying goodbye to friends and neighbors, and had given away his Quran and other belongings.

A defense lawyer asked Martin if the tragedy could have prevented her from deploying to a combat zone.

“I did not want to be removed from deployment. I wanted to carry on with the mission, sir, as my fallen soldiers would want me to.”

Source:  http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101015/A_NEWS/101019887

Advertisements
First, apologies for not getting John Guandolo’s podcast to you correctly. I’m working on fixing it asap.

Second, this reporter reports that: “. . . . more than two dozen other soldiers and civilians spoke under oath about their struggle to survive in the terrifying minutes after he yelled “Allahu akbar!” (“ALLAH is great!” in Arabic) and started shooting,” but then the reporter makes this next ridiculous comment: “Yet the gunman and his motive remain an enigma.” This puts the reporter into a collaborators’ camp; or he’s so green behind the ears he shouldn’t be let out alone to cross the street.

BHO ought to be on trial here as an accomplice to murder, is my thinking, him with his “Don’t name the enemy” junk.
Dorrie

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/16/us/16hearing.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=At%20Hearing%20On%20Fort%20Hood%20Attack,%20Few%20Clues&st=cse

At Hearing on Fort Hood Attack, Few Clues

FORT HOOD, Tex. � Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, with a blanket draped over his shoulders and a watch cap pulled low over his dark eyes, listened impassively in recent days as several survivors of his murderous rampage a year ago rose and pointed to him as the gunman who had shot them.

No emotion or hint of the defendant’s thoughts flickered across his pale features, as more than two dozen other soldiers and civilians spoke under oath about their struggle to survive in the terrifying minutes after he yelled “Allahu akbar!” (ALLAH is great! in Arabic) and started shooting. He sank low in his wheelchair (he is paralyzed from the waist down after the police shot him to end his shooting attack on Nov. 5) and stared intensely at the witnesses. At times he made small, precise notes on a legal pad, but he said nothing to his lawyers.

A parade of prosecution witnesses, many of them still struggling with their wounds, provided a gripping, almost cinematic account of the attack in which 13 people died and dozens were wounded.

Yet the gunman and his motive remain an enigma. And there were few clues about what sort of defense Major Hasan, a 40-year-old Army psychiatrist, would mount in the face of such overwhelming evidence.

The witnesses spoke at an Article 32 hearing, a military proceeding in which an investigating officer, in this case Col. James L. Pohl, listens to evidence and decides whether to recommend a court-martial, what charges should be filed and what the penalty should be.

The hearing is not a trial, and the defense often uses it discover the strength of prosecution�s evidence, while the prosecution sometimes uses it to encourage the defense to enter a guilty plea.

The lead defense attorney, John Galligan, has left open the possibility he might mount an insanity defense, yet he blocked a mental evaluation of his client a week before the hearing, saying that Major Hasan was not given enough notice.

Cross-examining the witnesses, Mr. Galligan and his team seemed focused on eliciting testimony that Major Hasan fired randomly rather than singling out people, a hint the defense may seek to erode the prosecution theory that the gunman�s actions were coldly planned.

Outside the courtroom, Mr. Galligan has said that the government should disclose, before a court-martial, several high-level investigations into the massacre and what led to it. They include a report on whether Major Hasan�s superiors at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where he worked before being transferred to Fort Hood, should have foreseen that he would become violent.

Experts on military law say that Major Hasan and his lawyers have very few cards to play. He is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder, and he could face the death penalty. To get a capital conviction, the prosecution must show that he rationally planned out the killings beforehand, and that his actions were �premeditated and deliberated.�

�If you can create doubt that this was a planned series of killings, then you have a chance of defeating the level of murder that carries the death penalty,� said Geoffrey Corn, an expert on military law at South Texas College of Law in Houston.

Over three days, more than two dozen witnesses at the hearing described how Major Hasan shouted �Allahu akbar!� and then opened fire with a laser-guided handgun at a crowd of soldiers as they waited to see medical staff members before deployment. He gunned down one man who tried to hit him with a chair and chased another soldier out of the building to shoot him, witnesses said.

Major Hasan, a Muslim whose parents immigrated from the West Bank, fired first at a crowded waiting area, then he walked around and shot soldiers as they tried to hide under desks, chairs and tables, only pausing to reload and saying nothing after his first outburst, several witnesses said.

The air filled with gun smoke and people bled to death while others played dead to save their own lives. The laser guide from the gun cut across the smoky area searching for targets. Some sprinted for the only two exits when he was reloading. More than 100 shots were fired.

Several of the witnesses had survived multiple gunshot wounds.

Staff Sgt. Paul Martin recounted his attempts to escape, as he was hit first in the arm, then in the left leg after he dove to the floor. When he rose and tried to make it to the door, the gunman blocked his way and then shot him in the back as he ran to take cover behind an office partition.

�My legs went out from under me and I hit the floor,� Sergeant Martin said. �I thought �Oh God, I�m paralyzed.� � But the feeling came back to his feet, and he and a female soldier made it out together during another pause in the shooting.

Staff Sgt. Patrick Zeigler said he thought at first the attack was a training exercise. He froze in disbelief as the laser guide crossed his eyes. Then he was hit.

�It felt like someone hit me in the head with a metal baseball bat,� Sergeant Zeigler said, touching the right side of his head where doctors later had to remove part of his brain. He recalled hitting the floor and crawling desperately across the ground toward the door before passing out. �There was a pool of my own blood on the ground in front of me,� he said.

The sergeant was shot three more times and barely survived. He walked slowly into court with a cane, a large scar visible on his misshapen cranium.

Times Square plotter says he planned second strike

New York, Sep 30 – Faisal Shahzad, the 30-year-old Pakistani-American suspect in the failed Times Square bombing case, has said that he had planned a second strike in New York, a media report said Thursday.

The confession was disclosed in new court documents that say that Shahzad, who was arrested two days after the attempted May 1 bomb attack while trying to flee the country, should get life in prison at his scheduled sentencing Oct 5.

According to the documents filed in a federal court Wednesday, at the time of his arrest, Shahzad said that ‘if he had not been arrested, he planned to detonate a second bomb in New York City two weeks later’, CNN reported.

Federal prosecutors said Shahzad ‘wanted to select the busiest time for pedestrian traffic in Times Square because pedestrians walking on the streets would be easier to kill and to injure than people driving in cars’.

The prosecutors also contended that Shahzad believed the bomb would kill about 40 people and that he ‘was prepared to conduct additional attacks until he was captured or killed’.

Shahzad June 21 pleaded guilty to all 10 counts in the indictment against him, telling the court, ‘I want to plead guilty 100 times because unless the US pulls out of Afghanistan and Iraq, until they stop drone strikes in Somalia, Pakistan and Yemen, and stop attacking Muslim lands, we will attack the US and be out to get them.’

Shahzad had admitted to receiving five days of weapons training in Waziristan region of Pakistan, but the new federal document discloses more about that trip.

Prosecutors said Shahzad spent 40 days beginning in December 2009 in the tribal region that straddles Pakistan and Afghanistan where he lived with members of the Pakistani Taliban, or Tehrik-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

According to the document, he worked with an experienced bomb trainer affiliated with the TTP for five days. In addition, Shahzad was given $5,000 to help fund the mission and agreed to appear in a TTP video glorifying the planned attack, the report said.

The roughly 40-minute video, as per the document, features Shahzad quoting from the Quran while the other side of the screen is filled with images of Times Square after the botched bombing.

Towards the end of the video, the memo quotes Shahzad as saying, ‘I have been trying to join my brothers in jehad ever since 9/11 happened. I am planning to wage an attack inside America.’

IANS

  • Share/Bookmark

Times Square Bomber Sentenced to Life in Prison

Published October 05, 2010 | Associated Press

DEVELOPING: The Pakistani immigrant who tried to set off a car bomb in Times Square was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison, a mandatory penalty that left him defiant as ever and the judge who sentenced him determined to send a message to anyone who might want to follow in his path.

Faisal Shahzad came to court to tell Americans he felt no remorse about his May 1 bombing attempt, and he sparred with U.S. District Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum.

Cedarbaum said her sentence was very important “to protect the public from further crimes of this defendant and others who would seek to follow him.”

Shahzad, 31, defended his attempt to kill Americans. During his statement before sentencing, Cedarbaum cut him off at one point to ask if he had sworn allegiance to the United States when the Pakistan-born Shahzad became an American citizen last year.

“I did swear but I did not mean it,” Shahzad said.

“So you took a false oath,” the judge told him.

Shahzad was arrested two days after a bomb in the back of a sport utility vehicle fizzled with a mere sputter of smoke, drawing the attention of a street vendor who alerted police.

Previous story:

The scene in a remote spot in Pennsylvania was exactly what authorities say failed bomber Faisal Shahzad had wanted on a busy evening in Times Square on May 1.

An improvised car bomb — a 1993 Pathfinder fitted with 250 pounds of ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel, three 25-pound propane tanks and two five-gallon gasoline canisters — blew up with a force that ripped the sport utility vehicle in half.

The explosion also caused a giant fireball that overturned and shredded four other cars parked nearby in an open field, obliterated about a dozen dummies posed as pedestrians and shot fiery debris hundreds of feet in all directions.

A dramatic videotape of the FBI-staged test blast in June has become a key piece of evidence against Shahzad, who faces a mandatory life prison term at his sentencing Tuesday in Manhattan federal court.

Technicians studied Shahzad’s design before using it to build a working model they say demonstrated his deadly intent.

“Had the bombing played out as Shahzad had so carefully planned, the lives of numerous residents and visitors of the city would have been lost and countless others would have been forever traumatized,” prosecutors wrote in court papers.

Shahzad’s bomb fizzled before it could do any harm, doomed by faulty wiring and ingredients such as a low-grade fertilizer that couldn’t explode.

The Pakistan-born Shahzad hasn’t disputed the allegations while under interrogation and taking a guilty plea.

In fact, “he spoke with pride” about the scheme, in which he bragged that he wanted to kill at least 40 people, the government said in a sentencing memo. If he escaped arrest, he added, he hoped to set off another bomb two weeks later in a second, undisclosed location.

“While it is impossible to calculate precisely the impact of Shahzad’s bomb had it detonated, the controlled detonation … demonstrated that those effects would have been devastating to the surrounding area,” prosecutors wrote.

Calling himself a Muslim solider, a defiant Shahzad pleaded guilty in June to 10 terrorism and weapons counts, some of which carry mandatory life sentences.

“I want to plead guilty and I’m going to plead guilty a hundred times forward,” he said.

Unless the U.S. leaves Muslim lands alone, he warned, “we will be attacking U.S., and I plead guilty to that.”

Shahzad has said the Pakistan Taliban provided him with more than $15,000 and five days of explosives training late last year and early this year, months after he became a U.S. citizen.

For greatest impact, he chose a crowded a section of Times Square by studying an online streaming video of the so-called “Crossroads of the World,” prosecutors said.

He lit the fuse of his crude, homemade bomb, then fled on foot, pausing along the way to listen for the explosion that never came, court papers said.

A street vendor spotted smoke coming from the SUV and alerted police, who quickly cleared the area. The bomb attempt set off an intense investigation that culminated two days later with investigators plucking Shahzad off a Dubai-bound plane at a New York airport.

A few days later, Pakistani authorities arrested three men on charges they helped him meet leaders of the Pakistan Taliban, a militant group based in the northwest of the country that has claimed responsibility for the plot. They also are accused of sending him cash in the United States when he ran short of money.

The men’s lawyer says there’s no evidence to support the allegations and that the men had been forced to sign confessions. A trial date has yet to be set.

Three other men were detained in New England on immigration charges in an investigation of an underground money transfer system used by Shahzad, but they were never charged with any crimes.

We received an email today about the Ground Zero mosque stating, “we will build our Victory Mosque … We will even build it on top of your grave!” The IP for the sender indicates they accessed their email account via a computer at the University of Washington.From: Malik Bawwab
Date: Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:44 PM
Subject: Coalition to Honor Ground Zero Contact: We Own You!!!
To: Webmaster

From:
Malik Bawwab
malik_bawwab@hotmail.com

Message:
My name is Malik Bawwab and I am an Arab Muslim! And we will build our Victory Mosque wherever we want to build it! And there is nothing any of you damn infidels can do about it! We will even build it on top of your grave! You can cry all you want and complain like little babies, but WE OWN YOU!!! And all my Arab brothers and sisters spit on your grave!!!

Sent from (ip address): 128.208.125.114
(D-128-208-125-114.dhcp4.washington.edu)

Source: http://stopthe911mosque.com/2010/09/23/hate-speech-we-will-build-our-victory-mosque-on-top-of-your-grave/